UPMC Advanced Patient Care Orthopedic Technician in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
UPMC St. Margaret is hiring a Full time Advanced Patient Care Orthopedic Technician to support its Joint Care Center / 4B Orthopedics Unit at our Magnet designated Aspinwall, PA location.
The Advanced Patience Care Orthopedic Technician works to improve the mobilization of orthopedic surgery patients. This is a fast paced, labor intensive role that involves helping orthopedic surgery patients to and from therapy and working as an ambulation aide.
This Full time APCT role involves working 36 hours per week from Monday- Saturday. The normal shift for this position would be 7A-7P or 6A-6P.
UPMC is dedicated to providing each patient with the right care, in the right way, at the right time, every time. Advanced Patient Care Technicians are essential partners in that mission, enhancing the patient experience at UPMC with positivity and integrity. Nursing support staff give personal care to patients with an emphasis on dignity and respect, striving to make each patient feel as comfortable as possible during their hospital stay.
Advanced Patient Care Technicians also provide invaluable aid to nurses and doctors on the floor by completing important skilled tasks such as checking vital signs and glucose levels, performing EKGs and blood draws, and much more.
Patient care staff in department work on a rotating schedule to ensure 24/7 coverage. Availability for all shifts, including some weekends and holidays, is expected.
Advanced Patient Care Technician positions are valued steps in the UPMC nursing support career ladder, with opportunities for upward advancement into lead and management roles. Many support staff may seek to use the knowledge and skill they gain in this position to launch a career in nursing, advanced practice, health care administration, therapy, or another related field.
- Assures equipment malfunctions are reported to the appropriate department. 2. Establishes appropriate and effective communication with other departments. 3. Establishes professional and respectful interpersonal relationships. 4. Contributes to the universal unit activities including, but not limited to, responding to call lights and telephones, passing meal trays and transporting patients.
- Constructively receives feedback and direction. 2. Identifies and communicates learning needs to the unit director. 3. Takes action to improve knowledge, skills and performance. 4. Requests assistance in planning and prioritizing activities as needed. 5. Participates in self-review as requested by the unit director. 6. Participates in project and committee work.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all members of the health care team. 2. Demonstrate understanding of cultural diversity, horizontal violence and impairment in the health professions. 3. Cares for patients and self by supporting safety in the workplace. 4. Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by demonstrating accountability for actions, enthusiasm, motivation and commitment to patients and colleagues.
- Performs the UPMC nursing core nursing assistant responsibilities (blood glucose, weights, vital signs, I&O, specimen collections and Foley care) AND the employee has successfully completed Basic arrhythmia class AND can perform at least four of the following hospital identified tasks: phlebotomy, 12 lead EKG, simple dressing, Foley catheter removal, point of care testing, bladder scan, straight catheter, IV catheter removal, femoral hemostasis, or IV insertion. 2. Provides patient care including assisting with patient procedures and activities of daily living. 3. Assists with physical, respiratory and cardiopulmonary therapies. Provides feedback to the RN regarding patient care and reports changes in patient status.
- Suggests and supports changes within the department. 2. Assumes responsibility for assignment and views problems as challenges. 3. Demonstrates awareness of behavior on the efficient functioning of the department. 4. Supports department based projects and quality initiatives.
- Provides instruction to patients and their families under the direction of the RN. May apply, monitor and remove patient restraints as per physician or hospital protocol. 5. Strictly adheres to all policies and procedures relative to patient care and hospital related information. 6. Complies with safety policies and procedures including standard precautions. Documents in the medical record according to established procedures. 7. Performs assigned work in a timely and productive manner. 8. Transports cardiac monitored patients within the hospital setting. 9. May insert foley catheters and perform straight catheterization as instructed by RN. 10. May perform IV insertion, removal and dressing change. 11. Completes department clerical functions as needed.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Previous direct patient care strongly preferred.
Previous PCT or A-PCT experience preferred.
Nursing Student that has completed one clinical rotation preferred Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic or currently enrolled in an EMT or Paramedic program preferred.
Candidates with physical therapy technician experience strongly preferred
If no previous hospital or pre-hospital training, successful completion of UPMC patient care technician class OR successful completion of first year of clinical work in a nursing program. Successful completion of basic information system training. Microcomputer experience preferred. Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
Successful completion of a basic arrhythmia course and annual competency required May in the course of their duties be in rooms where medications are stored or may transport medications when they transport patients.
Transportation of medication is limited from one department to another.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire ACLS preferred
Act 33 Child Clearance with Renewal
Act 34 Criminal Clearance with Renewal
Act 73 FBI Clearance
Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities